Procedure for International marriage
I will explain the procedures when a romance with a foreigner is fulfilled and develops into an international marriage.
International marriage can be divided into three patterns.
- Submit a marriage registration in Japan and live in Japan.
- Submit a marriage registration overseas and live in Japan.
- Submit a marriage registration abroad and live abroad.
（If you submit a marriage registration in Japan and live abroad, please follow the procedures for overseas migration.）
Now, let me introduce them one by one.
Submit a marriage registration in Japan and live in Japan.
If you want to submit a marriage registration in Japan, you will have to go through the procedures at the municipality (government office) where you live.
- Marriage registration(you can get it at the government office)
- Family register(when applying at a government office where you are not registered as a resident)
- Passport(to prove the partner’s nationality)
- Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage(to prove that you are single ;issued at an embassy or consulate in Japan)
Once the marriage has been successfully established, the next step is to go to the embassy of your partner’s country.
At that time, please bring the “Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage Registration” issued by the government office.
If you report your marriage there and obtain a spouse visa or change your visa, you can live in Japan.
For international marriages, the required documents vary depending on the nationality of the other party, so please check in advance.
Submit a marriage registration overseas and live in Japan.
If you have submitted your marriage registration overseas, you will need to complete the procedures at the local Japanese embassy or consulate within three months.
- Marriage registration(you can get it at the diplomatic missions abroad)
- Family register of Japanese spouse
- Original marriage certificate and its Japanese translation
- Document certifying nationality
After returning to Japan, please submit a “marriage registration” to the government office in Japan.
If the Japanese returning to Japan applies for a Spouse Visa and obtains it, the partner can also enter Japan.
If you get a Spouse Visa, there are no restrictions on the period of stay or work, so you can live with peace of mind.
Submit a marriage registration abroad and live abroad.
Once you have submitted your marriage registration overseas, you will need to complete the necessary procedures at the Japanese embassy or consulate within three months.
The documents required for the procedure are the same as the preceding paragraph. Since it is necessary to record it in the family register, Japanese people should be sure to prepare a copy of the family register.
After completing the procedures, apply for a Spouse Visa or permanent residency.
Points to note when submitting a marriage registration abroad
In some countries, if you cannot complete the procedure within 3 months, you can submit a notification by attaching a “statement of reasons for notification”.
However, not all countries are compatible.
If you miss the deadline, there are cases where it develops into legal problems, so be careful not to be late.
Points to note when proceeding with international marriage
International marriage requires time for necessary documents and procedures.
The documents have expiration dates, so please plan accordingly.